tiistai 5. elokuuta 2008

Root canal

So, I am currently going through my first ever root canal treatment. Toothache started during our holiday and at first I thought I will be fine after a regular filling and antibiotics, but no such luck. At least they got me through the holiday, but this morning I realised tougher measures were needed and called my own dentist. Making that call was not easy as I knew the next stop is root canal and I was not looking forward to it. Dentist is pretty much one of my pet hates, or fears...

My colleagues were more than happy to share their root canal experiences with me. One colleague told me it is done without local anaesthesia, which almost made my eyes bulge out and knees buckle in fear. Two others made me feel a bit better by assuring me local anaesthesia will be used, but then yet another colleague made me worried again by saying, whilst dramatically rolling her eyes, "Ooh you will be in tears after the local anaesthesia wears out". Like a lamb to the slaughter or sort of...

You can imagine my heart was pounding and hands were sweating when the dentist called me in. He told me not to listen to any horror stories, that it will not be that bad. And hey presto, he was telling the truth as I did not feel a thing! Mind you, because of the local anaesthesia I was hardly able to feel my nose, not to mention my teeth! Now the anaesthesia is wearing out and I am waiting for those tears I was warned about, but I do not think that will happen. Next week the dentist will replace the temporary filling with a permanent one and then it is done :-)

Lesson to be learned... do not believe everything people tell you!

These pictures have obviously nothing to do with the subject of this post. I just cheered up the living room with some pink and pale blue cushions.

12 kommenttia:

mimosamamma kirjoitti...

No niin, taas opimme ettei kannata kuunnella ketään. Ja kenenkään ei tarvitsisi peloitella ketään!
Vaaleanpunainen sopii hyvin teille, se on kaunis väri, opin varmasti käyttämään sitä täälläkin jossain vaiheessa, pihalle asti se on jo päässyt:)

Katja - Bag End kirjoitti...

Juu, nyt on puudutus kokonaan hävinnyt enkä tosiaankaan ole tuskainen. Hammasta hieman kolottaa, muttei yhtään enempää kuin ennen juurihoitoa. Söin äsken jopa dinnerin. Tosin en uskalla tällä hampaalla vielä purra, ettei väliaikainen paikka irtoa.

mimosamamma kirjoitti...

Älä yritäkään purra ja HYVÄ ettei ole pahempia tuskia:)

DebbieB kirjoitti...

Good show for your dentist! I've had 8 root canals and had a problem after only one of them which was quickly fixed with antibiotics.
I found this site that has root canal information if you have any more questions:
http://www.root-canal-info.com

Katja - Bag End kirjoitti...

@ debbieb: Thanks for the link. I have a VAGUE idea what root canal involves, but no closer details. I hope that site is suitable for the slightly squeamish like me ;-)

mimosamamma kirjoitti...

Tänään on ollut ihana, lämmin ja aurinkoinen päivä. Taivaalla on tummia pilviä, mutta juuri tässä meidän pällä on ollut monta tuntia "auringonmentävä" aukko.
Voisi joskus olla mukavaa jos pääsisitte tänne elokuussa, se on kuitenkin niin erilainen kk. kuin heinäkuu. Ei taida kuitenkaan onnistua...

Katja - Bag End kirjoitti...

Täällä on tänään tullut vettä kuin saavista kaataen. Kastuin aamulla niin läpimäräksi että vaatteista sai oikein puristaa enemmät vedet pois... Sadetakki on saapunut, mutten ottanut sitä mukaan töihin lähtiessäni. Siitäs sain...

Eikä heinäkuussa mitään vikaa ollut. Ihanat lomasäät.

Poppedijne kirjoitti...

Ohh that hurts!! My daughter had such toothacke last month and she had the same procedure!!! Was not nice and it is still not finished. She has to go back a third time. But the toothacke was much more severe....so try to think about that when you are lying in the dentist chair. Good luck to you!

Sateenkaarentaa Riikka kirjoitti...

Mukava kun kävit vierailemassa, tulen ihan ajan kanssa kurkkimaan, ihana on tuo sinun kuva saa niin hyvälle tuulelle
Mukavaa perjantaita
Ilona

mimosamamma kirjoitti...

Taas pakko pistää kommenttia.Kävin tänään Huvilaelämää Annen ihanassa pikku puodissa. Voi että oli paljon ihailtavaa ja löysin sieltä tietysti kotiintuomisiakin. Kaunis liitutaulu, ihana kyltti,seinäkoukku, ja isohko pellavasydän ristipistoineen muuttivat meille.
Sataa sataa taas....

Katja - Bag End kirjoitti...

Kiitokset Ilonalle vastavierailusta :-)

@Nicky: Like said, my 1st root canal experience was not that bad. It did not hurt at all, not during nor after. Guess I was lucky... I hope I'll have the same luck next week when the dentist finishes it off.

@ Mimosamamma: Huvilaelämää Annen puodissa? Siis ihan oikeasti paikan päällä? On sitten ilmeisesti jossain lähettyvillä?

mimosamamma kirjoitti...

No ihan melkein paikan päällä eli torin laidalla Kotkassa. Eipäs hokattu silloin kun olitte täällä! Minäkään en silloin vielä oikein tiennyt missä se on kunnes Krisse valisti viime viikolla:)