torstai 12. kesäkuuta 2008

Snapshots & homesickness

It has been a week since my last post. We have been busy with birthday parties, dinners, gardening, DIY, watching football etc.. Finally managed to steal few moments for blogging.

Last week I was watching a travel program on BBC where they went to Helsinki in Finland. I love Helsinki. It is one of my favourite cities. I lived there for few years before I moved to the Netherlands and Helsinki always has a special place in my heart. Seeing all those familiar streets and buildings featured in this program made me miss it so much. Homesickness can really catch you by surprise.


I can hardly wait for our summer holiday in Finland. I have not been there for a year! First we will go to my hometown Kotka on the Southeast coast. Helsinki may be one of my favourite cities, but Kotka is, and will always be, my home.

We are also planning to visit Turku on the Southwest coast. I lived there for a few years during the 90's, also a very nice city. I have not been there for several years, so I am thrilled to go there again. As always, we will end our holiday in Helsinki. A perfect ending for a perfect holiday. Still few weeks to go until our vacation starts. I hope time flies...

12 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

IHANAT serviettirenkaat!En ole ikinä tuollaisia nähnyt.Luulin ensin että ne ovat sormuksia:)
Kuukausi kuluu nopeasti ja lomanne täällä vieläkin nopeammin,ihan varppina:)

Krisse kirjoitti...

Kivoja kuvia taas ihanista esineistä. Aika rientää ja ennenkuin huomaattekaan, olette Suomessa! Tervetuloa!

Marianne kirjoitti...

Yeah let's all hope that the summer holidays come fast this year. Lovely photo's!

Ana. kirjoitti...

I was never in your country, but someday I will go, my husband and my son much like them! We wish you a happy return home and a happy holiday!

marga kirjoitti...

I hope you have a great holiday and a lovely visit with your family.

Ana. kirjoitti...

Hi,

Referring to the question on the photos they are the entrances (hall?)of different particular houses from the old district of Palma de Mallorca. I feel it, my English is terrorífic!

Saludos from Palma! Ana!

amanda kirjoitti...

Oh, how wonderful - summer holidays do wonders for the soul... Is it possible to be homesick for a place you've never lived? I feel very connected to Savannah, GA... My heart wishes we lived there, misses it terribly, and when we visit - it's like I can finally breathe. Aaaah... one day!

Amanda:)

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Hi,

It must be difficult i think to leave your country behind and actually start a new life in a new country. So i want to wish you a fantastic time when you going to Finland. Enjoy it ...!!!!
Greeting, Janneke.

Valloittava valkoinen kirjoitti...

Oi miten kauniit servettirenkaat! ja iloista lomaa!

Krisse kirjoitti...

Hyvää Juhannusta teille sinne puukenkien maahan. Täällä varaudutaan sateeseen juhannuksena.

Kohtahan tekin pääsette nauttimaan Suomen suvesta! T.Krisse

Katja - Bag End kirjoitti...

Thank you for all your comments :-)

@ Amanda: I believe you can be homesick for a place that you have never lived in. You are a good example of that ;-) I have experienced something similar in the past

Rumour has it kirjoitti...

Hi Katja, I wish you a very good time in your homeland! When I was a young girl I visited Finland with my parents and brothers. I do remember the exciting overnight-boattrip from Sweden to Finland. And we visited many places there: Helsinki, Turku, Lahti... I forgot all the names, but I still remember the beautiful nature with so many lakes and forests. One day I surely go back there with my own little family! My husband's country - Lithuania - is a bit similar to yours. Nice holidays for you! Marjolijn